New York City Prints & World Photography

I feature my photography taken around the world on several web galleries. Prints are made available for sale. Here I will discuss my photographs, and the circumstances in which they were taken. Photographs include images of New York City, Greece, Peru, Germany & more. Feel free to comment and view. Thank You.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North East, United States

I have been taking pictures all of my life. A skill I believe that has more to do with one's vision than with what equiptment one uses. I myself am loyal to Nikon... and still (almost exclusively) use 35mm. My father taught me the fundamentals of photography when I was very young. We would often convert the laundry room to a darkroom. I will be adding more to this blog shortly. Come again. Thank you.

March 07, 2006

Philip Seymour Hoffman & other thoughts

Image to the right is one of the newest posters in my black & white section of my shop. This small 11X17 Statue of Liberty Print is avail. for only $12.99.

I wanted to quickly write about how proud I am of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman for winning the best actor Oscar this week. I have been a very big fan of this actor for about 10 years. He has been in numerous films... and has been, at times, the most memorable thing about the films in which he has appeared. Truly a magnificent talent, and one that will be around for many more decades.

I myself am an actor, or I guess was. Now I am pretty much a mom, who continues to expand upon my photography. But as an actor... I have always noticed 3 kinds of actors.

1. Actors who do it for fun. (I would fall into this category)

2. Actors that take it very seriously, have deep strategy and method, and whenever they speak about acting... don't hesitate to go into great detail about their methods and schooling.(these people annoy me, it is entertainment after all.)

3. Actors that take it pretty seriously(perfectionists), that never think they are talented or good enough, always thinking someone else is better, and that they don't truly deserve praise... people are just being kind.

I had ALWAYS assumed that Philip Seymour Hoffman fell into category TWO. I never knew it for sure, I just always suspected. Maybe because most of the characters that he has played through the years have been so un-likeable. Maybe because he doesn't smile much. But now, after seeing his acceptance speeches for the countless awards that he has won for Capote (Screen Actors Guild, Golden Globe, Oscar etc) I see that he most likely falls into category THREE. This saddens me a bit. I always feel sorry for people like that. I am the one that always marvels at their natural gift, their ability to display emotion and be so open and true. And yet so many of wonderful actors do not reach their potential... they give up, or end up taking desk jobs.

I am confident that now, after all of the media attention and praise that this man has attained, he will surely continue to succeed. Surely he will SMILE more... and I believe he will go on to be the Robert DeNiro / Dustin Hoffman of our generation. Congratulations! to you Philip... Rock On!

Link to Hoffmans Film Credits

3 Comments:

Blogger Brown Shoes said...

I agree with you: PS Hoffman is an incredibly gifted actor.
It was his performance in Boogie Nights that convinced me of his astonishing talents, and it has been deeply gratifying to watch him recieve kudos that(in my opinion)have long been overdue.

Nice write-up.

bs

2:19 AM  
Blogger madame P said...

i think he already is in the same bag as Deniro/Pacino/even brando..

i think he is extremely amazing !!! and i think he will keep on doing what he does best... even with the most trivial roles (ie:magnolia) he gives me shivers...

thanks for dropping by my blog.. ;)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Bing said...

hi there, thanks for leaving a comment at my site!
i love hoffman since i saw im in red dragon. his performance as freddy lounds was great, and while i got distracted by edward norton (lol), theres something abt hoffman that makes me want to watch him again. so i got his movies, watched magnoliao, state and main, etc. and went absolutely nuts over him. :) Im SO glad he won, SUCH a deserving actor!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home